The following information is presented as a service to those who are interested in learning more about “Swami” Kriyananda (J. Donald Walters), the Ananda Church and the Ananda communities across the United States, Europe and India. Ananda locations include Nevada City, California, Los Angeles, Palo Alto and Mountain View in the San Francisco Bay Area, Sacramento, Seattle, Bothell, Portland, Dallas, Rhode Island, and many more across the United States. Also in Assisi, Italy, Gurgaon and Pune, India and in dozens of other countries. Kriyananda / Ananda also operates The Expanding Light Meditation and Yoga Retreat, Living Wisdom Schools, Ananda Yoga, Crystal Clarity, and much more. It’s an organization that’s got it’s hands in many communities, business, and families across the globe, operating under many different names. We want you to have the opportunity to make informed decisions especially if you are thinking about involvement with Ananda.
“Swami” Kriyananda, aka J. Donald Walters, is one of the most controversial and allegedly corrupt spiritual teachers in the world today. He has already been found guilty of terrible conduct in two separate trials, one in a state court, the second in a federal court. Juries found him guilty of committing “fraud” “malice” and “sexual abuse” in one verdict and “copyright infringement” and stealing in a second.
This is just the tip of the iceberg concerning his behavior.
Yet “Swami” Kriyananda continues to act as the king/dictator and main spiritual teacher of Ananda, lead a lavish lifestyle and suffers no consequences of his actions. How has this man survived for so long? Because there’s strong evidence that indicates he’s not only ruthless and vindictive but willing to literally lie, cheat, and steal as courts have already found in order to preserve his name and position.
The purpose of this website is to bring together in one place all known and provable facts about “Swami” Kriyananda in one place as well as some of the most important allegations that former students of his have made against him. The sad truth is that almost all of this information is in the public domain known by different people, confessed to by Kriyananda/Walters himself at various times and available in public court documents. Until now no one has ever made it available all in one place. We think that when you see it all together and not just pieces hear and there you will understand what kind of person he really is beneath the slick surface and carefully managed image.
We also some recently obtained new and most shocking of all information that was recently sent to us, that “Swami” Kriyananda is severely mentally ill and under the care of psychiatric professionals and medication. This will be covered extensively in this section.
Here are some essential things to know about “Swami” Kriyananda:
* He is on multiple psychiatric medications for severe mental illness.
* He is not a “Swami” at all though he calls himself one and misleads the public into believing he is part of the ancient Swami order of India.
* He has allegedly sexually abused more than 20+ of his female students over a 40 year period.
* He is a bigot who has said some terrible things about women, blacks, and homosexuals as well as most other religions and spiritual people and organizations including other Hindu/yoga teachers, Muslims, Buddhists, Catholics, and more.
* He leads a lavish 5 star lifestyle paid for by his followers who mostly themselves live impoverished debt-ridden lives since they work for nothing and give most of their income to Kriyananda to support his lifestyle of the rich and famous.
* He is a Doomsday Prophet like Harold Camping and other end of the world “preppers” who has allegedly turned Ananda into a Doomsday cult.
* He is obsessed with the organization Self-Realization Fellowship, SRF, which rightly through him out 50 years ago.
* He claims to be a direct disciple of the great spiritual Master Paramahansa Yogananda but in fact Yogananda barely knew him and almost no contact with him. Yogananda also didn’t make him a “Swami” or even minister during his lifetime and never would have. Kriyananda has also completely changed or ignored Paramahansa Yogananda’s teachings whenever they were inconvenient for him.
* He is allegedly a pathological liar and hypocrite on all kinds of issues large and small including having fabricated and touted awards that either don’t exist or he never truly won.